Preventing the yellowing of your teeth is not as difficult as you think. In fact, it requires only a few minor adjustments to your lifestyle. Of course, if all else fails, there are always teeth whitening treatments to get that will restore the luster of your pearly whites. In the meantime, follow a few simple rules and keep your smile from becoming dull and unattractive.
What Are the Main Causes of Yellow Teeth?
The yellowing of teeth is a natural and unavoidable process, but luckily it is a fixable one. Teeth typically start to become yellow at the surface level as we age, but other factors can contribute to their buttery color. The main causes of expedited teeth yellowing are as follows:
- Smoking Cigarettes – It is a known fact that the tar contained in cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products is responsible for the premature discoloration of teeth, as well as the depletion of precious tooth enamel.
- Drinking Coffee or Wine – Common knowledge is that coffee and red wine can expedite the yellowing of teeth, but did you know that having just one cup of either per day can reduce the whiteness of your smile by two or more shades?
- Thinning of Tooth Enamel – Eating sugary foods or drinking acidic beverages is the leading cause of tooth enamel decay, which is one of the main reasons why teeth turn yellow or even brown.
- Excessive Fluoride Intake – Ingesting too much fluoride, either from food or drinks, can deplete the enamel on your teeth just as quickly as sugary foods and acidic beverages. NOTE: Gargling with and/or using fluoride in dental procedures does not have the same effect.
- Drug Use – Certain drugs, both illicit and prescription grade, can damage the condition and health of your teeth, creating an unattractive dullness and discoloration in the process.
- Genetics – Unfortunately, some of us will experience a gross yellowing of the teeth despite our best efforts since certain tooth issues are genetic.
- Age – Your age has a lot to do with the way your teeth look. Regardless of your best efforts, your smile will eventually show your age if you do nothing about it.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – Those who forget or refuse to brush, floss, and rinse regularly will be among the first to see yellow teeth in the mirror.
While routine brushing and flossing are highly recommended practices for the basic maintenance of your teeth, doing so does not always prevent them from staining.
How Can You Prevent Your Teeth from Becoming Yellow?
Keeping your smile bright and white is not as difficult as you think. Not only are there numerous over-the-counter whitening products on the market, but there are also dentists and orthodontists who are always willing to improve the condition of your teeth. Which option works best for you and what you are willing to spend on your smile is a matter of personal preference. In the meantime, prevent yellowing by using the following tips and tricks:
- Quit smoking
- Brush with a whitening toothpaste/mouthwash
- Limit or eliminate the intake of:
- When consuming sugar, acid, or fluoride-laden items, use a straw and brush immediately afterwards
- Switch medications or stop using illicit drugs
- Pay a dentist for regular whitening procedures
- Use a high-quality tooth whitening product – Billionaire Teeth Whitening Home Kit
Essentially, by practicing proper oral hygiene and by using superb whitening products, you should be able to avoid the yellowing effects of age, lifestyle habits, and everything in between.